As part of our boho Christmas blog series, I recently made these bohemian feather ornaments.
Do you see the clear ornaments in the store and wonder what to do with them? Some people fill them, while others paint the interiors or exteriors with alcohol inks or crayon wax. If you look on Pinterest, there are many suggestions.
I like the bohemian feather ornaments I created because they are simple to make and give a festive vibe to our other bohemian Holiday décor.
Here are the directions for the bohemian feather ornaments.
You will need:
*Clear glass or plastic ornaments
*Small white feathers
*Brightly dyed small pheasant feathers
*White and green or white and blue fine glitter
*Red, green and turquoise hemp thread, thin enough to string your beads
*Multi-colored glass beads
*Craft tweezers or long blunt needle
1. Carefully remove the tops from your clear ornaments and set aside.
2. Start by gently adding a white feather or two into the interior of each ornament. To keep the feathers in good repair, slide the bottom of the feathers into the ornament first, so the tops are the last to go in.
3. Next, add a few colored feathers to the ornaments. Use your craft tweezers or long blunt needle (such as a tapestry needle) to carefully arrange the feathers on the inside of your ornaments.
4. Now tap some glitter into the bottom of each ornament. I used about a ½ teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of glitter for each ornament.
5. On top of the glitter, drop 2 to 3 birch cones into each ornament.
6. Use your craft tweezers or long blunt needle to do the final arrangement of the feathers and cones.
7. Gently squeeze the tops back onto your feather ornaments.
8. Next, cut 5 to 6 inches of colored hemp thread. I cut two different colors for each ornament.
9. Tie a knot on one end of each strand of hemp thread.
10. Thread your beading needle, followed by 6 to 8 colored glass beads onto each hemp thread. Then knot the other end of the hemp thread.
11. Gather 2 beaded hemp threads together and hold in the middle so an equal amount of beads slide to each end of your threads.
12. Wrap and tie the centers of the beaded hemp threads around the tops of your feather ornaments, so that the threads and beads drape like tassels. Trim the ends of the hemp.
*Of note, you may want to store your feather ornaments upright in the off-season, so the interiors stay where you want them and the glitter doesn’t spill out.
Enjoy your wonderful, colorful bohemian feather ornaments.
For a full list of our Boho Christmas series projects, click here.
Happy Boho crafting!